Wednesday, August 22, 2007

So-Called "Christian" Chain Letters

This is a rant.

This rant, my dear sweet children, is going to be about so-called "Christian" chain emails - You know what I'm talking about..."If you love Jesus you'll pass this on - he who is ashamed of Christ, Christ will be ashamed of in Heaven!"

You all know what I'm talking about and who I'm talking to: The folks who invent and pass along any deceitful and offensive chain email containing the idea that Jesus himself will ignore you if you don't forward an EMAIL to 15 or more people?!

Wow...so, so...lemme see if I got this straight here. Jesus...loves me enough to go through years on Earth learning what it's like to feel human pain, lust, longing, joy, fear, personal victories and failures...

And then he allows himself to be dragged all over Judea by cruel Romans and his OWN people...

Only then to be beaten will studded, spiked flails, meat and blood spewing from his open wounds...

And then subjected to the most CRUEL and AWFUL TORTURE invented by mankind...

Fed vinegar, crying out to the God that sent him here to experience all this on my behalf....

Because He loves me.

But only if I forward this email to 15 people? LOL. Please. You know what, folks? If you believe that, then you have just reduced all that I just said to a joke.

And I hope you realize what it's doing to those of us who take our personal faith in our God more seriously than a stupid forward button.

I mean...WHAT?! Was I asleep through that part of Sunday School? Because my Dad is a preacher, folks! I was there every Sunday! Maybe what we're ashamed of, boys and girls, is the fact that you guys are actually taking these god-awful goofy wastes of KB space seriously enough to share them with us! B/c folks...I've read the Bible. The old school prophets and saints write a whole lot better than what you're passing off.

The drivel that you are passing off as faith demeans the faith of myself and my brothers and sisters. It reduces my personal, loving God of Grace and Truth to a pointless chain email, or bulletin, or what the web ever...and I resent it DEEPLY. Who gave you the right to judge people in such a careless way? Certainly not the Jesus I believe in; He would tell you that only God will judge each of us.

Your attempts at digitized religious indignation anger me. How DARE you question beliefs I have held dearly all my life because I did not forward someone's bland poetry? Thank you all for reducing a worldwide religion to a series of retarded chain mails that no one takes seriously any longer.

Wait, I apologize. I suppose you do.

Why don't you try stepping out of your Christian support group and talk to someone you don't know? Maybe even a *gasp* GAY person! God forbid you might like them. Get along with them. Find a common ground. Share each others' experience instead of hating each other because you never tried to step past the outer layers of your divided societies and really SEE each other as HUMAN BEINGS.

Jesus ate with whores and tax collectors. The least you could do is stand up from behind your computer, go out to your car with the fish sticker, and go meet some people and try to love them instead of passing judgement and hellfire on them from your lofty roller chair.

I'm Carey Shane McElveen, and I am a believer in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. But not this watered down pseudo-Christianity, and not Uber-Christianity. And not your stupid, hopped up chain hate mails. I suggest you think very hard very soon about your beliefs and you make sure what you're doing is for God and not yourself. I suggest you make that Jesus that you rail on about - with cute pictures of doves and waving baptismal water - your own personal Jesus. Then I suggest you get a life and grow some compassion before you open your mouth about MY GOD again.

Whether you pass this along or keep it to yourself, Jesus is going to love you either way. Remember that, people. I may be mad enough to choke the stupid out of you right now, but thankfully, I'm not God.

And neither are the folks who write your bland Jesus emails.

Have a great night, and please read and think before you speak or forward. Think about how you are making others feel when you spew your judgements in the office.

Think. Love one another. Treat one another as you would like to be treated. Pray.

Good night.
Shane

4 comments:

Patricia said...

"Christian" chain letters smack of the occult. I've gotten them from people who like me, but refused to pass them on. You are promised prosperity if you share the lovely flower with at least 5 others, but if you don't you'll either have bad luck or stay the same. Jesus defeated the wicked spirits of the air that enforce witchcraft and curses. Satan can appear as an angel of light (2 Cor.11:14). Not all that glitters is real gold. The devil seduced Eve with something beautiful, not something ugly.

Unknown said...

Good day to you and your family, I hope that you are having a good one.

I know that people mean very well when you send out these messages. However, I am very much apposed to chain emails. Especially those which promise favor from God if we do what the email indicates. God's favor on our lives is not predicated on what we do to promote feelings of goodness or happiness. We do these good deeds because we are free to walk in good deeds. The passing of these "Give to get" or "Good works to receive" is a form of Witchcraft. The bible is clear and we as Christians revere the bible as God's word and hold to its infallibility. Consider the following:

Exodus 22:18 tells us that, Death is the punishment for witchcraft.

Leviticus 19:26b says ...Don't practice any kind of witchcraft.

Deuteronomy 18:10 tells us ... don't try to use any kind of magic or witchcraft to tell fortunes or to cast spells or to talk with spirits of the dead.

Deuteronomy 18:14b says ... the LORD your God won't allow you to do those things.

Malachi 3:5 tells us that, The LORD All-Powerful said: I'm now on my way to judge you. And I will quickly condemn all who practice witchcraft or cheat in marriage or tell lies in court or rob workers of their pay or mistreat widows and orphans or steal the property of foreigners or refuse to respect me.

Galatians 5:20-21 tells us that,
They worship idols, practice witchcraft, hate others, and are hard to get along with. People become jealous, angry, and selfish. They not only argue and cause trouble, but they are envious. They get drunk, carry on at wild parties, and do other evil things as well. I told you before, and I am telling you again: No one who does these things will share in the blessings of God's kingdom (this from Paul the Apostle).

and finally in, Revelation 21:8 Christ tells us this, "But I will tell you what will happen to cowards and to everyone who is unfaithful or dirty-minded or who murders or is sexually immoral or uses witchcraft or worships idols or tells lies. They will be thrown into that lake of fire and burning sulfur. This is the second death."

But thanks be to our God who has saved us from these things. Through his great sacrifice and the atoning blood of Christ we have been saved from his wrath. We reckon ourselves dead to the former things of this world and alive to the things of the kingdom of God. It is as if we are in a foreign land or country waiting for Christ's return to take us home. While we wait, we should not pick up the practices of the land we currently live. But remember we are of Christ, his ways we hold to. None of us are perfect, but with the help of the Holy Spirit we try.

Be very careful, I don't want you to be ignorant about these things. I keep all my friends in my prayers daily. I have written this knowing that you are of the body of Christ, to let you know where I stand on this issue and why. You choose as you will, you are free, because Christ has made us free, my love for my friends shall not change. May the love of Christ be with you, and may you have his peace.

Your friend and your brother in Christ,

Jerry

Kring Lozano said...

"christian" chain letters are un-christian. They threaten people, which is very ungodly. It distorts the true beautiful image of Christianity. People hear me out, don't forward these chain emails. They're witchcraft guised as a blessing.

Bonita said...

Well said Monkey Shines !!!!!!!!I copied your statement and all the wonderful comments and sent it to every singe person in my address book, whether I know them or not (some are possible clients). I can not tell you how these chain email annoy me !!!!!!!!