Wednesday, August 15, 2007

On Relationships & My First Marriage

I'm sitting here, wondering why I'm in the mood to publish my life online before a bunch of strangers - and honestly I'm ever more baffled by the fact that anyone would want to read it. Am I deluding myself into thinking that there is some secret fan base out there that secretly worships my hidden talent of bringing the mundane experiences of my humdrum existence to these magic screens that we all sit transfixed in from of while we should be working or sleeping?

Anyway, I can only continue to wonder if this whole sporadic endeavor is only for me, or if someone out there aside from curious friends (and possibly my future curious children) will feel any need to read this...maybe it's like Oniyagi says, and I'm writing all this in hopes that some fair maiden out there in the far reaches of the internet will read these words and be transfixed by them, falling helplessly in love with my irresistible personality.

Riiight. Anyway, speaking of love, I'm going to take this opportunity to comment on the first love of my life, just in case wife #2 (no offense intended, Darling) is gathering info on yours truly in order to launch her future romantic invasion into my quiet, unassuming life.

Man, I'm deluded.

Anyway, I married my first love...we met in college. Married in 1997, and had two beautiful kids together. Seth is now 9, smart-mouthed like both his parents and his Poppie, and the most loving, talented, sweet-hearted boy I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Willow is 4 (going on 16), and is a precocious little princess. A diva, if you will. I used to wonder if 4-year-olds can actually BE divas - trust me folks, they can. But she is also curious, imaginative, affectionate, and full of life and love. These kids have truly been a blessing to my life, and I'll always be thankful for them.

After 8 years of marriage, my wife and I separated and then divorced. I still have partial custody of my children (every other weekend). It was incredibly hard for a long time...I realize that is such a trite understatement of the truth. No one can understand the difficulty of divorce until they've gone through it themselves, and as much pain as we parents go through in the process, we'll never really grasp the pain the kids go through. Every situation is different, and every situation is HARD.

Anyway, two years after my separation (the divorce occured early this year), I think I'm on the road to being ready to meet a lady who truly is my match, "soul mate," or what-have-you. I've had a few ladies comment that they don't understand why I'm still single. Well, first off, it hasn't been that long since I wasn't. LOL. Secondly, I'm still working through my own issues here. Lastly, I have a lot of quirks that the ladies would have to get used to. Maybe I'll blog a list of them soon for your amusement. And, you know, for the future Mrs. McElveen. Hey baby. ;)

4 comments:

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

...if ya want mah body and ya think ah'm sexay c'mon baby let me know...

Shane McElveen said...

Ah, the subtle trap the clever Oniyagi has left for me...for when I correct him and say, "It's `come on SUGAR let me know', bro..." then he can respond with a delighted, "You listen to Rod Stewart? Fag!"

Afterwards, when he asks if I want play some X-Box and listen to a little Jack Jackson, I will of course sigh and say yes. Not.

Dr. Augustus Dayafter said...

well met with your own subtle trap, because if I say it is "Jack Johnson" then the Monkey will undoubtedly say that I am a "Bro Rapist".

Afterwards I will be expected to drink some bud lights and listen to Dave Matthews with him...

Shane McElveen said...

Ah, yet another cunning plot...for if I was to correct Oni and say, "Dude, it's Natty Light, not Bud Light" he would again have me at a disadvantage, and be able to say "drink this, bro" at his leisure. It's not going to work, Oni, even if you do like to smell like a Mace.